Mobility training is provided in the home and in the community. Learning to travel safely, efficiently and independently within familiar and unfamiliar environments is the goal of O&M training. Activities are chosen after evaluation and discussion with the client and are part of an individualized plan of services. Participants can learn:
- White cane skills
- Patterning and arrangement in the home
- How orientation skills enhance awareness of familiar and unfamiliar areas
- Protective techniques for safe and efficient travel
- Basic sighted guide techniques
- New ways to regain mobility
Lighthouse Vision Loss Education Center programs are funded by the Florida Department of Education, Florida Division of Blind Services, The Manatee Board of County Commissioners, The Sarasota School Board, private contributions, bequests and fundraising activities.